Thursday, February 21, 2008

On Being a Poet Pt.1

I love that I'm writing again. 1) Because I actually love to write 2) I feel at home and comfortable with fellow writers, poets, mcs, etc. 3) It gives me a platform to stand on besides the neighborhood strip club and the corner hustling weed (and I appreciate that).
But you know my gripes is coming right?
I cant stand that I actually have to read to keep my brain fresh and on point. I used to like reading but I dont anymore--blame the internet and the information that it so readily accessible for me without me having to go to Barnes and Nobles.
Then there is the writing. Naturally if I have 3 shows a week. I want to have 3 different poems. And how much different shit can I write in a week. For them prolific poets its cool but Imma keep it funky and let you know I aint one of them.
Memorization--I dont need to say much because if your reading this is your probably my friend and you know I smoke soo much weed I am in no position to be memorizing any 3 minute poems. lol.
Going on tour (1116 tour to be exact) is hard. This is my first tour and its virgin at that. When I say virginal I mean I'm paying for my 50% of my expenses and I'm gettin sponsored for the rest on sum real hood thrown together type shit but its all goody. I just dont want to leave and get exhausted I know a lot of poets--my best friend in fact, that plays the poetry field so much and so hard, she seldom enjoys it and only talks about money and lack thereof, I dont want to be a slave to my words, ya dig?

1 comment:

  1. dig it... but cant dig it... words and slavery, sike! who is the master? the audience or the money, or are they one

    ReplyDelete